This space is dedicated to the world of endurance sports. Although the focus is on Triathlon, the content has broad applicability, touching on subjects that are highly relevant to all endurance athletes from distance runners to rowers; pretty much all of the suffer sports. In addition to writing about this stuff, I compete too. If you are interested in learning more about me, browsing my writing that has been published on Xtri, or reading about some of my own athletic endeavors, just click on any of the tabs above.

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Triathlon and Being Happy, Purpose and Passion

As Featured on Xtri


I've been doing a lot of targeted reading lately -- thank you Twitter, which is truly a great tool for developing daily reading lists -- and have started to notice a common theme surrounding individuals that tend to be, in the broadest sense, mostly happy. They are highly motivated and engage in activities that give meaning to their lives. They go about their days with what I am starting to realize are two key ingredients: purpose and passion. When I stepped back to examine how I fill my days against the two P's, naturally I put my involvement in triathlon under the lens. At this current point in my life, the results were overwhelmingly positive, so I'll continue to spend a good amount of time swimming, biking, and running.

From a "purpose" standpoint, the most simplistic evaluation is that I want to be as fast as possible. But, as I peeled back the onion a bit, I realized that this has more to do with the process of becoming as fast as possible; the things I learn about myself at the end of strenuous workouts, the intimate relationship I continue to develop with with my body, and the ability to hold myself accountable for results both positive and negative. The sport adds meaningful complexity to my life, and it forces me to grow and discover new things both physically and mentally... characteristics I can't say hold true for even the best reality TV...

In terms of "passion," this is less empirical and far more intrinsic. Does triathlon make me tick? Yes.

I think it is hard to disconnect the two P's. If you do things with [and that have] purpose, it's a lot easier to be passionate about them.

So, given that triathlon can consume a lot of our most precious resource (time), it is important to step back once in a while and test involvement in the sport against the two Ps. If you pass the test, odds are you'll not only be a happier person, but also a better triathlete since I think we tend to perform best at things that make us happy. If you don't pass the test, it could be a warning sign for the antithesis of happiness -- going through the motions -- and a cue that maybe it's time to pivot to something new.

I'll end by sharing a few things that inspired these thoughts, and although not as explicitly, do a far better job expressing what I'm going for above. I highly recommend reading the interviews.

A) In response to more recent articles about intense endurance sports and general health, someone posted on a forum, "I don't do this to add quantity to my life, but to add quality to my life."

B) I couldn't help but notice the striking similarities in the lessons offered between two extremely different people, both of whom seem quite happy:

Interview with endurance sports junkie and founder of Art/Apparel company Endurance Conspiracy Tony DeBoom:

Interview with the esteemed Harvard Business School Professor Clay Christensen:

No comments:

Post a Comment